Friday, September 17, 2010

Remember Remember

  • Nephi gives his thesis statement if you will in the last chapter of 1 Nephi, 1 Nephi 30-31. The purpose of his writings in the plastes of brass --
    • ...they testify that a man must be obedient to the commandments of God.
    • ...Wherefore, if ye shall be obedient to the commandments, and endure to the end, ye shall be saved at the last day...
      • I remember how in Seminary class, my teacher would drill into us that it was so important for us to REMEMBER the Lord and his commandments bc it is when we forget and forsake the Lord that we lose his blessings and promises from keeping the commandments.  So every time in the scriptures when it has the phrase "if you keep my commandments, you shall prosper" I think REMEMBER in my head. 
  • Throughout this first book, each story shows the consequences of either following the commandments or disboeying them.  When I think of my kids, I can't seem to understand why they would do something they know will get them into trouble.  Most of the time, their answer is "I don't know, bc it was fun?"  I'm sure Heavenly Father feels the same way about us.  Just follow these rules and I will bless you!!! We're basically throwing away blessings when we choose to not follow his commandments. I know it is easier said than done but logically it seems right. 
  • In Lehi's dying words, he instructs his children on 3 things in 2 Nephi 1-2:
    • Exhorts his sons to repent, obey and put on the armor of righteousness
    • Testifies of the Atonement
    • Teaches the importance of opposition and freedom to choose
  • I see a repeated promise in his words in 2 Nephi 1:7, 9
    • ...And if it so be that they shall serve him according to the commandments which he hath given, it shall be a land of liberty unto them;
    • ...inasmuch as those who the Lord God shall bring out of the land of Jerusalem shall keep his commandments, they shall prosper upon the face of this land...and if it so be they shall keep his commandments they shall be blessed upon the face of this land...
      • Ok, keep his commandments, we'll prosper and be blessed.  Got it!
  • In 2 Nephi 1:21, it seems like Lehi is basically telling his children to grow up, act like adults and get along and the way to do that is to be united together. 
    • ...arise from the dust, my sons, and be men, and be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things...
  • Trials are here to help us grow and progress. The Lord shall consecrate thine afflictions for they gain. (2 Nephi 2:2)
  • Lehi says in 2 Nephi 2:14 I speak unto you these things for your profit and learning.  He is trying to leave some words of wisdom before he dies.  He then starts to talk about how God gave us our free agency (...the Lord God gave unto man that he should act for himself... 2 Nephi 2:16) He had previously spoken about there is opposition in all things.
    • Funny that this should be read now.  This last week I had to watch my daughter go through a tough experience at school.  There was a boy teasing her, who egg'd on others to tease her as well.  It made her cry and she was so hurt that this boy would spread lies about her.  She was too scared to tell her teacher.  As my husband and I talked with her, we told her that telling her teacher is the right choice bc she doesn't have to put up with this, that as a daughter of God, she deserves more respect.  We told her we should include her in our prayers to be given the courage and strength to get through this situation.  We tried telling her that it doesn't matter what those kids think, it matters what she thinks but it didn't make her hurt feelings feel any better.  I told her I would talk to her teacher the next day after school if they kept it up.  Although when I went to get her, the teacher told me that KJ had spoken to her already and they fixed the problem (the boy's parents were notified and he wrote an apology note).  She found the courage to speak up for herself and I was so happy that she did.  That was yesterday and today I read about how we have to have opposition in all things so that we may know good from evil, joy from sorrow, happiness from pain.  My daughter can't learn unless she experiences herself first hand, not me fixing her problems for her. 

0 comments: