Monday, September 20, 2010

My God Hath Been My Support

  • In 2 Nephi 4, Nephi talks about his self doubt, temptations, discouragement and anger in regards to his sins.  And then he turns around and says I know in whom I have trusted. My God hath been my support. (4:19-20)  He sees his imperfections, almost drowns in all of it but rises above it bc he knows who is he, what he is worth and who stands behind him.  We are all children of God, He loves every one of us despite our imperfections and His arm is and ever will be outstretched to help us if we but turn towards Him. 
  • In vs.26-29 he talks about why or why not to linger on past sins.  We shouldn't dwell upon our past bc it is not healthy nor does it matter if the Lord has forgiven persons of that matter, what matters is if we know if we have been forgiven.  It is up to the Lord to forgive who He will and up to us to forgive all.  Forgive and move forward.
  • 2 Nephi 5:32 talks about what we should be writing in our journals -- things pleasing unto God.  I find it interesting that he says if people like the things of God, then they will be pleased with mine engravings.  So my grandkids should be pleased with my journals if they are things pleasing unto God.  I think it is vitally important that we have evidence that not just ancient people had faith through trials and endured to the end, but that people not too distant from us did also.  If I can read about my close relatives holding tight to the iron rod and striving to live righteous lives, I think it would be another testimony that it can be done. Perhaps my words will be what someone needs later on. 
  • Tonight we had FHE on what the "Ultimate Treasure" is that Heavenly Father has for us.  I used a great site to help me with the short lesson (for younger kids) HERE.   We talked about how the Lord gave us a map to find our way to this ultimate gift -- scriptures, prophets, parents, etc.  All these things can help point us in the right direction in how to live our lives in such a way that we can obtain this great treasure -- being eternal life and living again with our Heavenly Father.  My daughter really enjoyed it and participated in the discussion (7 yrs old), my son (2 yrs old) roamed the room.  I think he was oblivious to what we were doing but he did pray with us so at least he knows what that is.  He loves to pray.  He does great with folding his arms and he can string 2-3 words at a time if we help him say the prayer.  I think right now I am really enjoying see my children grow in the gospel and make it a natural part of their lives. 

0 comments: