Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Not Remembering

  • On Sunday when our Home Teachers came to visit us, we somehow got on the topic of electronics and I was explaining to them how we always get the warranties.  I gave a bunch of examples of why buying it came in handy.  One of them commented, "You have a lot of bad luck with electronics!"  And I replied that no, it all didn't happen at the same time, this is over an 8 year span.  Then this morning I was reading about AGAIN Nephi's older brethren forgot the Lord, were merry and rude on the boat and tied up Nephi bc of what they had to go through.  It just seems that each story is time and time again Laman and Lemuel forgetting the Lord, punishing Nephi, then given another sign that the Lord is indeed using Lehi/Nephi to lead them. I mean...how many times can they make this mistake over and over?  And then I thought of what I told my home teachers.  Perhaps this was over a longer period of time? And he was just highlighting the times that his brothers followed the pattern.  
  • Pattern: 
    • Obey the Lord's commandments by starting to do what He asks
    • Murmur/complain while doing it
    • Get angry and take it out on Nephi
    • Called to repentance and given a sign that showed Heavenly Father was truly guiding them
    • They repent and ask forgiveness
  • It makes me wonder what commandments am I not following that the Lord has asked of us? 
    • One easy one that not a lot of people do is food storage. We are just now starting to as our circumstances let us.  We have always had a lot more food in our pantry than others around us but surely not the year's worth our church leaders have asked of us. 
    • Another one is temple attendance.  3-4 hour drives just to get to one was hard but now?  What is our excuse?  Not planning it into our week.  A 15 minute drive is all we have between us and the temple right now. 
    • One that I want to start doing is my genealogy.  Get my family file at the temple.  I have my grandmother's entire genealogy book that she worked on her whole life...not sure how I got it, but I do.  Now I need to carry on her work. 

0 comments: