Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Book of Mormon Challenge

A good ole' friend from Springfield is starting a Book of Mormon challenge to finish reading it by the end of this year.  Starting a couple days ago, that means reading 4.5 pages a day.  Not too shabby.  I've done these challenges before and they always help me to see beyond just reading and to really try to understand and study out the words to see how they can apply to my life.  I'm trying to have a couple personal questions in my head as I'm reading.  I say a short pray before I read asking that I may find answers to my questions and that my eyes may be opened to what He wants me to learn.

(You can find the full scriptures here -- 1 Nephi CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4)

A few things that stuck out to me today:

  • 1 Nephi 1:12 -- And it came to pass that as he read, he was filled with the Spirit of the Lord.
    • I remember in Seminary classes for high school, a seminary teacher once said that just the very act of opening up our scriptures invited the Spirit into our hearts.  I must admit that feeling the Spirit is a little harder to perceive right now than it has been in the past.  Anything to help me "fine tune" my ears to listen  and hear the Spirit more is welcomed. So, thank you Jessica for challenging me to read the scriptures better to draw closer to my Heavenly Father.
  • 1 Nephi 1:19 -- And it came to pass that the Jews did mock him because of the things which he testified of them; for he truly testified of their wickedness and their abominations...
    • When I am called to repentance, am I like these people...mocking, rolling my eyes and full of pride?  Or do I humble myself, listen to the positive criticism and strive to change my ways to better please the Lord?
  • 1 Nephi 1:20 -- I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.
    • This seems like the thesis of why Nephi is writing this book to us; to help us know that the Lord is merciful if we but have faith in him and follow his commandments.
  • 1 Nephi 2:7 -- And it came to pass that he built an altar of stones, and made an offering unto the Lord, and gave thanks unto the Lord our God.
    • When the Lord gives us guidance in our lives, spiritual or for important decisions in our lives, we should remember to thank Him.
  • 1 Nephi 2:11 -- Now this he spake because of the stiffneckedness of Laman and Lemuel; for behold they did murmur in many things against their father, because he was a visionary man, and had led them out of the land of Jerusalem, to leave the land of their inheritance, and their gold, and their silver, and their precious things, to perish in the wilderness. And this they said he had done because of the foolish imaginations of his heart.
    • Do I murmur in my trials or afflictions? Or do I trust in the Lord and give thanks? Trials are here to strengthen us so that we may be better people or that we may better sympathize to others going thru similar situations.
  • 1 Nephi 2:16 -- And it came to pass I, Nephi, being exceedlingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers.
    • When turning to the Lord, He will speak to our hearts, to let us know the truth.  Will we humble ourselves to hear His whisperings of the Spirit?
  • 1 Nephi 2:18 -- But, behold, Laman and Lemuel would not hearken unto my words; and being grieved because of the hardness of their hearts i cried unto the Lord for them.
    • Pray for our loved ones that have turned away from the Lord.  Pray for our enemies that they may feel the love of the Lord.
  • 1 Nephi 3:7 -- And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that they Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
    • The Lord provides the means to accomplish what He puts before us. i.e. callings in the church, trials, words of our church leaders.
  • 1 Nephi 3:31 -- And after the angel had departed, Laman and Lemuel again began to murmur, saying: how is it possible that the Lord will deliver Laban into our hands? Behold, he is a mighty man, and he can command fifty, yea, even he can slay fifty; then why not us?
    • Laban and Lemuel exercised no faith, but murmur'd against the Lord's words.  They refused to soften their hearts to the Spirit even after being visited by an angel!  As the saying goes, "anything is possible through God."
  • 1 Nephi 4:3 -- Now behold ye know that this is true; and ye also know that an angel hath spoken unto you; wherefore can ye doubt? Let us go up; the Lord is able to deliver us, even as our fathers, and to destroy Laban, even as the Egyptians.
    • Such faith in knowing that anything is possible through God.  If Nephi was filled with such a testimony, how could his rebellious brothers NOT be touched by the Spirit of his testimony?  They must've been so stubborn or blindsided by the things of the world to ignore the promptings of the Spirit.

0 comments: