Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Superwoman Syndrome!

I went to a Deployed Spouses Retreat today in which they talked about:


Superwoman Syndrome: A range of physical, pyschological, and interpersonal stress symptoms experienced by a woman as she attempts perfectly such multiple and conflicting roles as worker or career volunteer, wife, mother, and homemaker.
  • Delegate but don't expect it to be perfect...it's not going to be.
  • The only person we have control over regarding a person's happiness is ourselves
  • Stressors can be life changes, career changes, geographic changes, traumatic events, group of minor changes
  • Set realistic expectations: superwoman and supermom are fictional characters
  • Ask others to "share the load"
  • Prioritize personal and professional responsibilities
  • Learn the magic in the simple word NO (*MY FAVORITE*)

Listen to Your Inner Voice --How you react to your life circumstances is crucial. You must first acknowledge your role and ask yourself a few questions: "What can I do to change my situation?" It's important you are honest--if you find yourself saying that there is nothing you can do ("I'm too busy") and others can't or won't help, you may be having trouble relinquishing the Superwoman role.

Beat the Superwoman Syndrome -- First, determine the areas of your life you can streamline and where you can ask for help. Do not expect others to read your mind or just "know" what help you need. You can call a family meeting to discuss how everyone can pitch in to help make the household run more smoothly. Ensure you don't set your standards too high. Avoid excessive criticism of others. Potential helpers might get discouraged and avoid their tasks.

Take a hard look at what activities outside the home contribute to your pressured feelings. Even if you enjoy all of your activities, learn to practice saying no to new activities. Remember, you don't owe anyone an explanation. Simply say, "Thanks for thinking of me but I can't take that on right now."

Finally, in order to feel positive about others, you must feel good about yourself. Find something you enjoy, and carve out the time to do it regularly. Taking care of you physically and emotionally is crucial to being able to care for or about others. If you start telling yourself, "I don't have time," remember this is your Superwoman self speaking! Above all, know you aren't alone. You have the tools to tackle it. Use them!

1 comments:

ShaBANG said...

I can see why you said you thought of me when writing that. That all sounds painfully familiar. I have good new though! I'm am learning the power of saying ENOUGH! It feels really good. A couple months ago I read the book "Mary, Martha and Me." I highly suggest it. I think the smartest thing I did this year was to make goal to read 40 books before my 40th birthday. The books I've read have given so much insight and strength. Thanks for posting that! I'll be high jacking your "to do" list!