Saturday, May 26, 2007

Finding Great Peace


[RS message] "As I go out and work in the world each day I have really started to notice just how much contention, frustration, anxiety and bitterness there is. I was wondering what the remedy for this ailment of our world could be. What could I personally do to not "buy into" this vicious cycle where everyone blames everyone else and mountains are made out of molehills. I was thinking about this when I decided to look up peace in the topical guide. I chose to look up peace because it was the very thing that seemed so lacking.
I found a wonderful and enlighting scripture in Psalms 119:165. It clearly spells out how to obtain peace. "Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them." If I want peace, and I do, I must first love God's law. How can I love what I don't know (Scripture study) or don't practice? The second thing I think is, at least to me, harder to do - let NOTHING offend us! Sisters, I think when we can do that we are exercising charity and we will surely be blessed with God's great peace no matter what the world chooses to do. We can choose to learn, love and practice God's law and choose not to be offended. The choice is clearly ours - do we want peace or not? What is the price we are willing to pay?"
Having peace in my life can bring happiness and not just the short-term happiness. I'm talking about long-lasting happiness. It's seems too simplistic...just studying His law, loving it, and living it...but the Gospel is supposed to be simple and not complex. More understanding comes from studying and I believe gives us what we need to NOT be offended. We can see a bigger perspective on the situation at hand.

0 comments: