Tuesday, January 12, 2016

FHE: Holy Ghost Present When Speaking Truth

Last night we had an Family Home Evening lesson on the Holy Ghost. When my oldest daughter and I went on our last temple trip, we visited the Independence MO Visitor's Center before we went. The Sister missionaries bore their testimony at the end of their presentation by saying they knew the Holy Ghost was there that day as we learned of the plan of salvation and as we discussed faith of the Saints to press forward despite the persecution of the mobs that plagued them.


That thought really struck me. That whenever we speak of truth, read truth or ponder truth, the Spirit is there with us because the Holy Ghost is one that testifies of truth. That reminded me of something I learned in Seminary way back when. My seminary teacher taught us that whenever we open up our scriptures, that act alone invites the Spirit into our lives. 

My family then discussed around the table of times when opening up our scriptures brought the Spirit. My mom (Lola to my kids) told about a time when one of my brothers had a serious question on how to treat a boy that had some disabilities. She didn't know the answer but when she went to open her scriptures, it opened right up to the one that says loving one another as He has loved you. And it applied well to answer his question. The answer didn't come from Lola, it came from the Spirit teaching her and my brother truth as the scripture answered their question.  Mema also talked about a time when she was at a work party and found out that one of her close friends died in a car accident that night. She was heartbroken. She went into a room to process the information and grieve in private. She opened up her scriptures. She didn't read anything but when she did open them, a feeling of peace, comfort and love came to her. These calming feelings helped her know that everything would be ok and that the plan of salvation is there so she could see her friend again. Her act of opening her scriptures helped bring that peace. 

I love how all the talks and lessons we have from General Conference, Sacrament, primary and sharing time all flow together. Like line upon line, precept upon precept. We learned in primary that as we feast upon the words of Christ (the scriptures), we can learn more of Christ, draw closer to Him, find scripture power to overcome temptations and gain a greater desire to do what is right. In my primary lesson, we asked how to gain a testimony of Christ. Well, exactly as said in Primary, we feast upon the words of Christ so we may learn about Him and as we learn more about Him, we can gain a testimony of the Him. We listen to His Prophets so we can better know how to obey the commandments and better ourselves so that we may know how to choose the better choices. We learn how to better keep the Sabbath Day holy because that is what the Prophet and Apostles have been speaking about lately. We ask questions on how we can do that when they're just kids and not the adults making the decisions. We ask questions on how to better strengthen our family on the Sabbath. We ask questions on how to help our family members want to strengthen their family relationships when it seems they don't want to. 

Do you see the spiral of learning just one piece of truth can bring? Do you see where one piece of truth can lead us down many aspects of learning? Do you see how it is possible to always have room for improvement? Do you see that we can learn how to make the be BEST choices when we can choose between good, better and best?

I love that as a follower of Christ, I have the ability to invite a member of the Godhead into my life for guidance or comfort. I know that when I pray for guidance with my kids, the Spirit will whisper to me better choices to make when I feel like what I'm doing isn't working. I love that as I pray to reach my primary kids during my lesson, that I am able to do so and help them to open up to me so that THEY can receive guidance and comfort in their situations. I love that when I open up my scriptures, that I can have the Spirit come to me as I ponder the teachings of Christ. 

Sometimes it is hard to feel like we live our lives in a such a way that we have the Spirit be with us at all times. Or being righteous 100% of the time is attainable. We don't always, because we are not perfect. Although it is possible to try our best at it. Our daily actions either invite the Spirit or our actions push it away. What are you doing today to invite the Spirit into your life?

0 comments: