Tuesday, January 5, 2016

FHE: Closer to the Path of Happiness and Joy

For Family Home Evening last night, I read parts of the First Presidency Message for January 2016 Ensign. We went around the table and asked each other what is something that we want to do to better direct us to the path of happiness. Some answers were to smile more to others, speak softer instead harsh tones, learn to regulate myself before I begin to help the younger ones self-regulate, and go to the temple more. We also discussed how our choices can either make others happy or sad. It was ironic bc right after that, 2 of my kids (my 2 and 7 yr olds) threw tempter tantrums for doing things they weren't supposed to be doing. Oooh, having FHE with kids is fun and exciting and always full of surprises. You never know what they're going to do! But we kept going despite the crying and we finished. 
You can read about the effect that choices can have from the examples of Nephi, Laman, and Lemuel. Laman and Lemuel murmured and didn’t want to keep the commandments (see 1 Nephi 2:12). As a result, they and their descendants were cursed and cut off from the Lord’s presence (see 2 Nephi 5:20–24). Nephi chose to obey the commandments (see 1 Nephi 3:7), and because of that, he and his people “lived after the manner of happiness” (2 Nephi 5:27).
You can choose to be righteous and be happy. But people around you will probably still make poor choices that lead to misery or discomfort. While those decisions are theirs to make, your example can influence their choices for good. 
At the end, I gave everyone a "Kindness Challenge" to do at least one or more acts of kindness a day during this next week. We took examples from the article.
When Jesus visited the people in the Americas, He taught them to love each other and to be kind. What can you do to follow Jesus and love others? Here are some ideas. Check off each challenge as you go.
I can hug someone who is sad. □
I can serve someone in secret. □
I can read or watch a conference talk about being kind. □
I can sing a Primary song for my family. □
I can smile at someone who looks lonely. □
I can __________________________________. □
I can _________________________________. □


0 comments: