Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Renewing our Covenants

Simple and plain truths can have profound significance that are able to penetrate our souls to the core. Here is one such truth that has sunk a little bit deeper for me.

In Doctrine and Covenants 43:16 it states (emphasis added) --

And ye are to be taught from on high. Sanctify yourselves and ye shall be endowed with power, that ye may give even as I have spoken.
In my notes my professor said the following in regards to this scripture --
 Once again the promis of a future endowment which would occur as a part of the events surrounding the dedication of the Kirtland Temple.
At first when I read this, I thought to myself what a great and noble goal it is to try to be sanctified so we can be endowed with power. And then I realized from my professor's notes that it not only has happened before but this goal is readily attainable for everyone today. I guess I knew that when we were baptized or take out our own endowments we are forgiven of our sins but perhaps I never connected that with the word "sanctified".  My next thought was that as we renew our covenants made at baptism every week during the Sacrament, it is by our church attendance and partaking of the Sacrament that "sanctifies" us and "endows" us with power and protection.  This is exactly what the brethren have told us in this last conference. One of the main themes I heard were "iffy" blessings and a promise they gave us if we followed the Lord's commandments was being "endowed with power" or protection!!! The Lord promises us this!!

The feelings inside from knowing and understanding this simple and plain truth are of great happiness. My feelings are expressed in the hymnal 136 I know that My Redeemer Lives...
Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives:
I know that My Redeemer lives!
If you were to read this hymn, you can also see how merciful and loving our Lord is to us. You can see that he is always mindful of us. You can feel of His love wrap around you with the words. He does so many things for us. We are truly blessed to be children of God!


0 comments: